If you cannot see the Site Map/Menu Bar on the left; then your search engine may have directed you to this page only. To go to the Home Page click http://www.mycetes.co.uk
These buildings were designed to have a life span of 10 years and were built of single brick, without a cavity wall, with piers at ten feet intervals. The walls supported a light steel frame carrying asbestos sheeting or board and felt roofing. Outside the brickwork was rendered with cement whilst inside the walls were painted a variety of colours. The buildings had concrete floors.
|HQ||1||Gas Defence Centre||48/40|
|HQ||5||Ambulance and Fire Station||(16696/39) & MC/281/42|
|HQ||16||AMWD Offices and Stores||MC/198/44|
|HQ||20||AMWD Rest Room|
|HQ||21||Latrines to AMWD Rest Room|
|HQ||22||Water Tower to ablutions|
|HQ||24||Latrines||MC/288/41 & 35/WDT/98A|
|HQ||28||Officers & Airmen ablutions and latrines||MC/245/41 & MC/169/42|
|HQ||36||Battery Charging Room||S3/WDT/76|
|HQ||41||Latrines to Storage Sheds||MC/341/41|
|HQ||42||Motor Transport Office||40' X 18'||Not known|
|HQ||43||Drivers Rest Room||40' X 18'||Not known|
|1||41a||15 x Latrines to Storage Sheds||MC/341/41|
|1||62a||Sub Site Office||40' x 18'||MC/309/41|
|1||64||Boiler House||16' x 11'||S3/WDT/90|
|1||65||Search Room and Blast Shelter||11' x 10'||S3/WDT/66 & TP/4038/41|
|2||41b||6 x Latrines to Storage Sheds||MC/341/41|
|2||20a||Transportation Shed||300' x 100'||MC/24/43|
|2||62c||Sub Site Office||40' x 18'||MC/309/41|
|2||65a||Search Room and Blast Shelter||11' x 10'||S3/WDT/66 & TP/4038/41|
|2||68||Bottle Washing Room|
|3||41c||Latrines to Storage Sheds||MC/341/41|
|3||62e||Sub Site Office||40' x 18'||MC/309/41|
|3||65b||Search Room and Blast Shelter||11' x 10'||S3/WDT/66 & TP/4038/41|
|3||73||Electricity Sub Station||13241/41|
Huts were assembled using timber-framed sections. Each section bolted together to form huts of any length. The timber framed panels were covered on the outside with 3/4 inch rebated weather boarding with the inside walls lined with plasterboard and with standard metal windows. Roofs were timber trussed and panelled and covered externally either with corrugated asbestos or timber and felted. The floors were of timber.
|HQ||3||2 x Unit Buildings||25' x 10'|
|HQ||12||12 x Constructors Huts||15' x 10'|
|HQ||31||Office/Store||7393/41 & Local Design|
|HQ||34||4 x Huts erected by Unit||Not known|
By 1940 an acute shortage of timber led to the development of other forms of buildings for accommodation. The Laing hut consisted of standard prefabricated lightweight timber wall sections bolted together. End sections consisted of 2 corner sections 8 feet 3 inches high and one central door section 2 feet 8 inches wide. Side sections were usually made up of 10 sections, each 6 feet wide and incorporating a steel half window frame which when combined with a left or right hand section would form a standard sized window. The walls were lined both inside and out with plasterboard and additionally the outside covered with felt. Lightweight composite roof trusses were spaced every 4 feet and supported corrugated asbestos sheeting outside and inside with plasterboard.
|HQ||13||Headquarters Office||MC/547/41 & S5/WDT/85 & S8/WDT/89|
|HQ||23||Canteen||MC/328/41 & MC/474/45|
|HQ||26||Airmen Dining Room||MC/402/41 & MC/291/44|
|2||70||Transportation Office 1/2 LAING||36' x 22'||S3/WDT/94|
|3||71||Sub Site Canteen||MC/329/41 & MC/472/45|
The Thorbex was a Ministry of Supply living hut but was different from other lightweight timber framed huts which had straight sides, in that the Thorbex had sloped sides. The gable ends were made of 5 sections of light timber studwork framing which were bolted together with the centre section containing the door. The sidewalls and roof all shared a common frame section except where windows were required. The walls were clad on both sides with plasterboard with the outside being felted. A typical hut was 60 feet long; 17 feet 3 inches wide; and 7 feet 3 inches minimum height.
|HQ||27c||3 x Barrack Huts (part of Labour Camp)|
These huts have not yet been identified and if not one of those listed further on (Nissen; Marston; Richmond) were either Iris or Romney huts being semi circular 24 gauge corrugated iron sheeting fixed to a series of 2 1/2 inch tubular steel ribs. Whilst similar to the Nissen and Thorbex huts, these were primarily used as workshops and stores but could be adapted for use as canteens and cinemas.
|HQ||2||Building||12' x 10'|
|HQ||45||Bulk Oil Compound||Not known|
|HQ||46||Salvage Hut and compound||Not known|
|1||66||Hut erected by Unit|
The Richmond was a type of Jane corrugated iron hut possibly manufactured by Boulton & Paul. It was made of lightweight timber framed panels covered on the outside with straight sheets of corrugated iron laid vertically and on the inside with felt reinforced with chicken wire. On the inside of the roof felt was nailed to common rafters while straight corrugated iron was fixed on the outside. The internal span was 18 feet; length in multiples of 3 feet panels, and internal height 8 feet.
|HQ||44||Accounts Office||60' x 18'||Not known|
|1||63||2 x Dope Stores||60' x 18'||Standard huts|
The Marston was a light steel framed and corrugated iron clad building designed to be temporary and transportable. It had a reinforced concrete floor.
|HQ||39||Maintenance Sheds & Workshops||10303/41|
|HQ||40||Old Transportation Shed||1391/41|
|1||1-10,10a,11,12,12a,13||15 x Storage Sheds||150' x 50'||1391/41|
|2||14-23||10 x Storage Sheds||150' x 50'||1391/41|
|3||24-38||15 x Storage Sheds||150' x 50'||1391/41|
From 1941 the Nissen hut began to be used for dispersed site living accommodation. It was constructed of lengths of 6 feet wide curved corrugated iron sheets fixed to a steel frame and had a concrete floor. The Nissen hut came in widths of 16 feet, 24 feet, and 30 feet and lengths of multiples of 6 feet with the 36 feet by 16 feet being used as standard. Corrugated steel sheets were laid horizontally on the inside and on the outside were 26-gauge corrugated iron sheeting. With wooden or brick ends each containing two windows and a door frame they could be erected quickly and its arched shape made it very strong.
|HQ||29a/b||2 x Officers quarters||MC/309/41|
|HQ||30a/d||4 Barrack Huts||MC/346/41|
|HQ||31||Office Store||7393/41 & & Local Design|
|1||62||Sub Site Office||36' x 16'||MC/309/41|
|2||62b||Sub Site Office||36' x 16'||MC/309/41|
|3||62d||Sub Site Office||36' x 16'||MC/309/41|
The Turners hut was similar to the Nissen but used curved corrugated asbestos cement sheeting for cladding without any internal framework. The floors were made of concrete and the ends could be either wooden or brick.
|HQ||10||Guard House and Armoury||MC/198/44|
|HQ||19a/g||7 x Barrack Huts|
|HQ||32||Contractors Office||Not Known|
|HQ||33a/b||2 x Checkers Hut||S3/WDT/75|
|3||33d||2 x Checkers Huts/Police Huts.||S3/WDT/75|
The Blister hangar was a small arched type of shed for small aircraft. The standard blister was made of timber with a series of wooden arched ribs spaced 5 feet apart. These were made of a series of rib units bolted together to form an arch. Wooden decking was fixed to the inside of each sidewall and the outside was clad with steel sheeting. The blister had a concrete floor. A typical size was 25 feet long; 45 feet span and 14 feet high.
|2||69||Inflammable Store||Blister Hangar||S3/TYP/110 (2 Standard Blisters with brick ends)|
Regulation standard canvas tents provided emergency and temporary accommodation when there was insufficient barrack accommodation. >
M & E PLINTH
These plinths were made of brick to a height of 5 1/2 feet and housed the 'Mechanical and Electrical' transformer and switchgear used to keep the Air Ministry electricity supply at a constant voltage. As junction boxes they received in a mains electricity supply and distributed it though a number of outlets to buildings on the site.
|HQ||11||M & E|
|1||11a||M & E|
|2||11b||M & E|
|3||11c||2 x M & E|
AIR RAID SHELTER
Called a 'Stanton' air raid shelter it was set partially below ground level, covered with earth, and made of modular half-arch pre cast concrete panels. The entrance consisted of a flight of steps downward to an outer lobby and was protected by a brick blast wall banked with earth. The emergency exit was at the opposite end and consisted of a vertical ladder to a square concrete chimney ventilated manhole exit protruding above the earth mound. There were no toilets or other facilities inside as it was only expected to be used when an attack was in progress and sustained bombing was not anticipated.
|HQ||15||Semi Sunken Air Raid Shelter|
Open blast shelters were built on technical sites such as 70MU in preference to air raid shelters. Their 5 1/2 feet high and 14 inches thick brick walls and earth banks provided quick and safe protection to crouching airmen from the blast effects of enemy bombs but offered no protection from a direct hit.
|HQ||2 x Blast Shelters||52 1/2' x 9'|
|1||4 x Blast Shelters||52 1/2' x 9'|
|2||3 x Blast Shelters||52 1/2' x 9'|
|3||6 x Blast Shelters||52 1/2' x 9'|
|HQ||61c||Coal and Coke compound||Wire|
|1||61||Coal and Coke compound||Wire|
|2||61a||Coal and Coke compound||Wire|
|3||61b||Coal and Coke compound||Wire|
STATIC WATER TANKS
Often referred to as 'Fire Pools' the purpose built static water tanks held emergency water supplies for fire fighting.
|HQ||17||2 x Fire Fighting Tanks; 15,000 gallons each||Concrete||TP/4172/41|
|1||60||2 x Water tanks||Concrete & Steel|
|3||60a||2 x Water tanks||Concrete & Steel|
'E' FLUID INSTALLATION
|1||67||Anti-freeze storage tank; 25,000 gallons||12108/41 & 14553/41|
|3||67a||Anti-freeze storage tank; 25,000 gallons||12108/41 & 14553/41|
|HQ||14||Not yet identified|
|HQ||38||2 x Petrol installations 5,000 gallons each||4619/40|
|3||72||Septic Tank and Filter||WDT/28/42|
|3||75||Cleaning & Preservation Plant||WDT/1295/44|
|SEWAGE||Layout of Works||WDT/25/41|
|SEWAGE||82||Bucket emptying M.H.||S3/TYP/101|