If you cannot see the Site Map/Menu Bar on the left; then your search engine may have directed you to this page only. To go to the Home Page, click http://www.mycetes.co.uk
Situated on the bank of the Penpol Creek between the tenement of Leah and what later became the millpond for Harvey's Foundry, this was a grist mill described as such in the sale deed relating to a share in the Trelissick esate in 1657. When in 1715 Roger Wearne was granted a lease of Lanuthoe in St Erth, part of the Trelissick Manor, it was a condition of his tenure that he took his corn to Mellenear Mill to be ground.
It is not known when Mellenear Mill was built, but its name, meaning 'the long mill' in Cornish, indicates that it was an ancient mill which gave its name to the tenement on which it was built. It seems to have been in use until the second half of the eighteenth century when it was demolished.
The mill was mentioned in a deed of conveyance of 1741, when John Hearle of Penryn bought Trelissick Manor. In 1786 John Harvey became the tenant of Mellenear and in the lease there is a mention of the old stamping mill, but not the grist mill.
Delivering good to the mines
The huge number of horses and mules in this part of Cornwall has already been mentioned. By 1817, it was said that the price for a good mule was as high as 15 – 20 guineas. Later, heavy draught horses were bred to work in teams for the transport of massive parts of mining machinery, particularly the tremendous beams of the Cornish steam engines which would weigh as much as 50 tons each. They were being delivered to the many mines from the two foundries in Hayle.
Coal was transported to all the mines in the Camborne and Redruth areas, as well as local ones. Shiploads arrived regularly from Swansea at the two or three quays around the estuary and the coal was transferred to the backs of mules, who regularly made the journey up to Connor Downs and beyond.
By 1758 there were as many as 500 to 1000 horses or mules being used at the Hayle quays for the transportation of theses supplies to and from the mines.
West Alfred Consols Mining Company
There was a resurgence of the old Wheal Ann in 1851, when Field's Shaft was sunk below the 75 fathom level on a lode 4.5 feet wide. The bounds were extended in 1853 from the south west corner of the Wheal Alfred sett as far as two fields of Treglistian towards Helston road. It was worked for tin and copper and controlled from London by Mr. J.M.Jaquemot as secretary in 1859. Copper sales continued from West Alfred Consols, as well as from West Alfred, until the end of 1861. The copper sales amounted to £28,849.
A new cost book company was formed in 1861 to contract the working; the secretary from 1862