If you cannot see the Site Map/Menu Bar on the left; then your search engine may have directed you to this page only. To go to the Home Page, click http://www.mycetes.co.uk






While crossing the road opposite his home; on Tuesday, a 13 year old Hayle boy; Clifford John Pellow was knocked down by a car, and received injuries which proved fatal.

The lad is the son son of Mr. John Glasson Pellow, who saw his son killed, from a distance of about 80 yards. The accident occurred at about five minutes to two in the afternoon, on Tuesday. Clifford Pellow came out of his house at 2, Mellanear Row, Hayle, and while crossing the road opposite his home, was knocked down by a car coming from the direction of Helston. The car was driven by Miss Elizabeth Annie Goodland, of Treven, Hayle.

Mr. Pellow rushed to the scene and picked up his son, who was immediately conveyed to St. Michael's Hospital, Hayle, where he received attention from Dr. Nethery. He had received a fracture of the base of the skull however, and died shortly alter admittance.


A verdict of 'Accidental death', was returned by the jury, of which Mr. C. Uren was chosen foreman, when Mr. Edward Boase (county coroner), held the inquest on Clifford John Pellow, 13, of 2 Mellanear Row, St. Erth. on Wednesday afternoon.

The jury exonerated the driver of the car, Mrs. Elizabeth Annie Goodland, from all blame.

Mr. Eric Thomas (Penzance) represented the driver of the car, and Supt. Matthews (Camborne) of the County Police, was also present.

John Glasson Pellow, of 2. Mellanear Row, St. Erth, father of deceased, gave evidence of identification, and said his son was as delicate youth. Deceased had never been to school. When the accident happened, witness was in Tolroy Road about 2 o'clock, and saw the car approaching from the direction of Helston. The car appeared to be travelling at a fast pace, but witness was unable to estimate the speed. He did not see his son on the road, but when the boy was knocked down he ran across the road, picked him up, and carried him indoors. The car, however, proceeded a long way down the road, but the lady returned, and went for Dr. Nethery. When witness picked the boy up he was still living, and bleeding from the nose, mouth, and ears. Deceased was taken to the Downes Hospital in the St. Ives ambulance, and died there about three hours after the accident occurred. Witness was had often warned the boy about crossing the road to the telegraph pole where he used to listen to the sounds in the pole.

Nora Helen Pellow, sister of the deceased of 2, Mellanear Row, a domestic servant, stated there was a good deal of traffic on that road, but it was considered safe for the boy to go on the road. At the time of the accident witness was standing above the Tolroy Cross roads, and saw the car pass her, at a rate, she considered 'pretty fast'. She was walking in the same direction as the car was going, and deceased was standing in the water table some distance from the road. Witness did not see the car strike the boy, but she saw him fall, and her father and mother run to the scene of the accident. The driver of the car came back, and went for the doctor.

By Mr. Thomas; The boy often went across the road to listen to the noise in the telegraph pole.

By Supt. Matthews; When he saw her brother she thought he was going to recross the road to the house, and witness thought he was walking when the car struck him. The car was travelling at the same rate as most cars went down the road.

Arthur Hosking, of 14, Foundry Hill, Hayle, a retired first class petty officer, said he heard grinding brakes at a car, and the lady got out of the car, saying, "I could not help it; I tried to avoid the accident." He saw the boy picked up. Witness did not hear the horn of the car blown.

Mrs. Elizabeth Annie Goodland, the driver of the car, of Treven Farm, St. Erth, stated she was proceeding to Hayle from Treven at 25 m.p.h. At the crossroads there was a lorry, and, thinking it might go back, she slowed down to 20 m.p.h. After passing the lorry, she blew her horn, and got in on her own side. When 30 yards from the cottages, the boy came out, and started to cross the road throwing his hands about. He crossed the road, and when he got to the hedge he turned around again to recross the road. Although witness repeatedly blew her horn, the boy took no notice whatever. When she saw the deceased took no notice, she applied her brakes, and the grinding of the brakes must have attracted his attention and he spun back into the middle of the road again. Witness felt a bump, and if she was not flabbergasted she would have been able to pull up before.

By Mr. Eric Thomas: She drove a 9 h.p. Standard car, and had been driving five years and had a clean sheet. If she had not been flabbergasted, she would have stopped before.

Sergt. Mallett (Hayle) said he received information of the accident from Mr. Pellow, the father of this deceased. He immediately went to the scene of the accident, and 80 yards on the Hayle side of the Tolroy cross roads, immediately opposite Mellanear Row, he saw two patches of fresh blood. One patch was five inches from the hedge opposite the row of houses, and measured four feet six inches by three feet. The other patch was in the centre of the road, and measured three feet by one foot. The total width of the metalled part of the road where the blood was discovered was 24 feet: and the total width of the road, including the gutter on each side was 27 feet 6 inches. There were no skid marks or track marks of the car visible. A cross in the hedge, which was pointed out by the witness, Mr. Hosking, as the place where the car stopped after the collision, was measured and found to be 259 feet from the patch of blood nearest the hedge.

Dr. Nethery said that the boy died from a fractured base if the skull.

The jury, the coroner, and Mr. Thomas, personally, and on behalf of Mrs. Goodland expressed their sympathy with the relatives in their bereavement.